Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Human Behavior

I understand it now, new forms of media are the scapegoats to all of our problems. The kids are no longer as interested in Math and Science? Let's blame it on videogames. People are starting to speed more?Let's blame it on videogames. Crops are bad? Let's blame it on videogames. (I made that last one up but if it comes true, you heard it here first.)

Let's be honest. Or, I will at least. When I hear a song on the radio that is fast and has a badass feel to it, I like to drive a little faster. Who doesn't? Try and listen to Queens of the Stone Age - Go With The Flow and happily obey the speed limit. Yeah, you can't. "Then not only are videogames corrupting me, but also music!" Yeah, I'm not sure about that...let's look deeper...shall we?

It is commonly known (well I guess "commonly" might be an overstatement) that certain colors and color combinations have varying effects on our psyche. Certain combinations make you hungry, more inclined to shop, sad, happy, whatever. Couple this with varying tactics of delivery and you have a potentially dangerous combination. Thankfully, most of us monkeys have the natural inclination to not go on our first instinct, and instead check a nigh-infinite number of variables before coming to our ultimate conclusion. Let's rewind a bit back to the Queens of the Stone Age. When I hear that song on the radio, I want to push the pedal down to the floor. I want to relive the video and fly down a desert highway going speeds that far surpass anything my blazer can smoothly execute, but most of the time I don't. I have learned that driving a vehicle at high speeds on slippery surfaces is much harder to manage than one would think. I also have a natural tendency to care for my fellow man and would have a hard time dealing with an "accident," and my wallet says that damaging my vehicle and/or getting a ticket wouldn't be the best outcome.

See where I'm getting at here?

We may have certain factors or "influences," if you will, around us that could possibly bring about a change in behavior, but ultimately it is our own decision to allow those changes to be made. If someone speeds because they saw it in the game and wanted to relive that experience, then maybe during that given situation their actions were somewhat justified (no one around on a desert highway instantly comes to mind), or maybe they are just batshit insane.Oh and on a sidenote.

Tom Waits is a god.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home